Impact of Daily Fruits & Vegetables
Incorporating fruits and vegetables into your diet is just as important to your health and cognitive ability as daily physical activity. Since obesity is the leading health concern for children, it is important that their food intake is filled with nutrient dense foods, rather than calorie dense foods that offer no nutritional benefit. The low glycemic loads of fruits and veggies help satisfy hunger by preventing blood sugar spikes. As a result, children will be less likely to feel hungry and snack on unhealthy foods throughout their day.
Not only does a balanced, healthy diet filled with fruits and veggies help fight against obesity, but it also helps fight internal battles that are not as easily seen. Many studies have revealed that people who consume more fruits and veggies are at lower risk for many chronic diseases; heart disease, stroke, some cancers, high blood sugar, digestive issues, etc.
Tips & Tricks to Increase Fruit & Vegetable Intake
Quantity of intake is important, but variety is just as important! We challenge you this month, National Fruits & Veggies Month (@fruitsandveggies), to increase your intake by at least one fruit or veggie each day and to try a new fruit or veggie each week that you’ve never eaten before. Below are some tips that will help you achieve this challenge!
- Add a fruit to your breakfast routine
- Keep fruits and veggies where you can see them
- Wash fruit and veggies as soon as you get home from the store to save time during the week
- Instead of an unhealthy snack, swap to a fruit or veggie as your snack between meals
- Frozen fruits and veggies last for longer periods of time, so purchase a few bags so that you will never run out
- Add fresh fruit to yogurt and smoothies
- Add veggie toppings to your pizza
- Even if a recipe already contains them, add extra fruits and veggies for more color and flavor
Start Simple for Huge Benefits
Fruits and veggies have the power to improve your health, fight obesity, and prevent chronic diseases. The first step to a healthier life is to improve your diet! Start simple; small changes have a huge impact. Focus on incorporating one extra fruit or veggie into your diet each day this month, and watch your health change for the better!