Why a Footrest?
Have you ever wondered why most restaurant bars have a footrest? It’s simple really. They know a footrest improves standing comfort allowing customers to stand, and buy, longer periods of time! That’s why a footrest is needed for standing comfort – at the bar, work or school!
All our standing desk options include a footrest or foot prop. It’s not an arbitrary design feature! We’ve all heard of the benefits of standing for adults and children:
- Standing burns more calories than remaining seated
- Standing allows us to expend energy, especially children and teens or those with ADHD
- Standing improves circulation getting more blood flowing and oxygen to the brain, helping to decrease depression
- The list goes on!
However, many standing desks on the market lack a key detail – a footrest. The footrest is the key to longer, more comfortable standing times. What can a simple footrest possibly do?
- The footrest allows users to rest from side to side while continuing to stand and reap the benefits
- A dual height, dual depth footrest (like the Classic design) not only provides a rest while standing but also provides an ergonomic place for feet while sitting. The footrest positions the foot in front of the knees improving flood blood. Most stools have a ring for feet placement, but this position cuts off blood flow.
- The footrest also allows a place to stretch the back of the legs while standing or sitting.
- Another key benefit is propping the foot relieves press off the lower spine and aligns the tailbone. Again, improving standing comfort.
Pain is Likely the Lack of a Footrest
If you’re not already a standing worker or student, it’s probably because you’ve heard some people complain about back pain. They have back pain, because they don’t have a footrest allowing their body to rest side to side and creating an ergonomic posture. Some people may try to immediately stand for 4 hours. Our bodies are a designed to move but if you haven’t been moving a lot lately, you’ll need to build up your standing time.
Sit to Stand Transition with a Footrest is Key
There’s no one right answer for everyone but standing provides an opportunity to increase movement, create a healthy body and mindset. Transitioning from sitting to standing throughout the day is the key to a happy, healthy body and lifestyle. And a footrest is a vital feature to create ergonomic, standing comfort.